Saturday, October 16, 2010

Flavors of Fall


If you know me, you know that when fall comes around I'm obsessed with all things pumpkin.  Pumpkin candles, pumpkin bread, pumpkin bagels with pumpkin cream cheese (which reminds me I need to pick some up), pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin ice cream, and of course, pumpkin spice lattes.  I'm always up for trying new pumpkin recipes and yesterday I tried my hand at pumpkin risotto...success!  Here's the very tasty recipe and a few photos!

1 C. arborio rice
~ 6 C. chicken broth (keep warm on the stove)
1/2 C. pumpkin puree
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
2 T. butter
1 C. onion diced
2 T. garlic, minced
1 tsp. pumpkin spice
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/4 C. cream cheese or half & half
1/2 C. Parmesan, shredded
salt & pepper
olive oil

  1. Place sweet potato cubes on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt & pepper.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  
  2. To make the risotto base, heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sweat the onion for 5 minutes to soften, until translucent.
  3. Add the rice and garlic - cook, stirring for a minute.
  4. Add the stock, a cup at a time.
  5. Once the rice starts to absorb the liquid, continue to add more stock until the rice is plump, and al dente.  This will take around 30 minutes.  Be patient.
  6. Stir in the parmesan, cream cheese/half & half and pumpkin puree until evenly combined.
  7. Finally, stir in baked sweet potato and season with salt and pepper to taste.
  8. To serve, divide among warm plates.  Scatter with Parmesan shavings and rosemary.
You can substitute butternut squash for pumpkin.  This would also be really great with toasted pecans or walnuts over it - I meant to do this, but totally forgot (must have been the crazy hungry kids and late-home-from-work hubby!).  This will definitely be added to my repertoire of dinners!  Let me know what you think :)



Other pumpkin recipes I want to try:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake Pots
Pumpkin Ice Cream

Another fall recipe I want to try: Maple Walnut Chicken & Apple Rice
Feel free to share your favorite fall recipes with me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...