Thursday, March 03, 2011

A New Recipe

Zucchini Boats

Ingredients:

2 Medium Zucchini                                  1/2 tsp. sea salt
3/4 lb Ground Turkey or Beef                  1/4 tsp pepper
1 small onion, diced                                 1/2 C. diced mushrooms
1 C. Parmesan                                         1/2 C. diced red bell pepper
2 T. fruit sweetened ketchup                    

Trim the ends of the zucchini.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/2 inch shell.  Finely chop pulp.  In a skillet cook ground turkey or beef, and all vegetables until meat is brown, drain.  Remove from heat.  Add 1/2 C. cheese, ketchup, seat salt and pepper.  Mix well.  Spoon into the zucchini shells.  Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

This recipe is from the book Maximized Living Nutrition Plans.  I thought this was an amazing recipe.  I love Zucchini...and Bryan does not, but he was not home for dinner tonight and I was ;)  So I jumped at the chance to make something new.  I think the filling would also be great in stuffed bell peppers if you don't like zucchini and you could leave out the mushrooms if you don't like those either.  The filling reminded me of PF Changs Lettuce Wraps but with more of a grill seasoning taste vs. an Asian flavor.  I might try to make this with soy sauce & sesame oil instead of ketchup and use lettuce instead of zucchini since Bryan is a fan of lettuce wraps. 

Maximized Living has a lot of great recipes that utilize whole foods with an emphasis on health and eliminating damaged fats and genetically modified foods.  We've been eating organic produce for awhile thanks to door2door organics, but this book offers a wealth of information on foods that we don't typically think of as bad and food that we do typically think of as bad that are actually good for us.  For instance, did you know that Canola Oil is actually a chemical oil?  It's not naturally found anywhere.  It's a series of chemicals that are heated over and over again to reach a desired consistency -- can you say gross?  This one surprised me since Canola Oil is touted as a 'healthy oil.'  The same goes for margarine, which thankfully we've been using real butter since I stared cooking way back when (it just tastes better!).  Well, off my soapbox for awhile, but some food for thought on what we are putting in our bodies and the way our bodies react to it.  

As a side note, I've been feeling awesome since I've starting eliminating most of these foods -- and that's saying a lot since I still have not had a full night of sleep since Lucy's been born and the past several nights have been up multiple times with both her and Grady since he's sick!

Go forth and make Zucchini Boats!

1 comment:

Joyful Momma said...

yes please!! I will be making these for sure! Thanks for the idea. And I am surely going to check out this book too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...